Tuesday, October 29, 2013

PILLOW TALK: A COMMENT ON MY STUDENTS' REACTION TO RACISM IN ALEXANDER PERCY'S LANTERNS OF THE LEVEE





Based on my students' journal entries submitted last night, they are busy sharpening the blades on the axes and machetes they are planning to use to behead, the author, William Alexander Percy for what they perceive as racism in his beloved memoir Lanterns of the Levee. Little do they know, I will be granting Percy a stay of execution, at least until the end of today's class, and I am prepared to receive a litany of complaints from my students for temporarily suspending Percy's execution, while not allowing them to grant, the author, Jean Toomer a stay of last execution for his moonlit, liver-lipped multiracism we discussed in week in his evocative poetic work, Cane. Being black and all, they will not be able to wrap their minds around my ability to accept Percy's racism, while refusing to accept Toomer's multiracism. Next week, when they come to class to find me in bed with all twelve of the Twelve Southerners from the manifesto, I'll Take My Stand, it will be me who will need a stay of execution. #FugitiveSoutherner  




No comments:

Post a Comment